Subject: [PATCH 3/3] ARM: S3C64XX: Implement basic power domain support

From: [email-masked] (Tomasz Figa)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:06:17 +0100

On Friday 02 of December 2011 18:57:43 Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 07:25:01PM +0100, Tomasz Figa wrote:
> > Please do not forget that there might be some drivers not yet submited
> > to mainline and mainline should not break them with an assumption that
> > there are no such drivers.
> > 
> > For example, there is an on-going work on an open source OpenGL
> > implementation for the GPU in S3C6410, known as OpenFIMG. Currently it
> > uses a little kernel module for low level hardware management
> > (interrupts, contexts, locking, power management), involving clock
> > gating and runtime power management, but a DRM driver is planned.
> 
> As I said in the commit message for the patch you're following up on
> I don't think that's a problem as it's pretty straightforward to add the
> requisite hooks as part of adding the actual drivers.  The power domain
> framework is really easy to use so it's not like it should cause real
> effort, if you can figure out how to drive a 3D graphics engine adding a
> device to a power domain shouldn't be too hard.
> 
> There will need to be arch/arm changes to add the platform devices and
> hook up the clocks anyway so it's not like this is creating a need for
> modifications.  Indeed I'd suggest adding the arch/arm stuff as it gets
> written anyway, even if the actual drivers are still a work in progress.
> It's one less thing to carry out of tree and it means that updates like
> this or like the clk API reworks that I'd expect to start appearing soon
> will happen for free.

Yeah, I'm okay with that, I just noted that there is more support for S3C6410 
available than just what is present in mainline.

Best regards,
Tom