Subject: page_alloc.shuffle=1 + CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING=y = arm64 hang

From: Qian Cai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 17:33:23 -0400

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cailca/linux-mm/master/arm64.config

Booting an arm64 ThunderX2 server with page_alloc.shuffle=1 [1] +
CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING=y results in hanging.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/154899811208.3165233.17623209031065121886.s
[email-masked]/

...
[  125.142689][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.2.auto: option mask 0x2
[  125.149687][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.2.auto: ias 44-bit, oas 44-bit
(features 0x0000170d)
[  125.165198][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.2.auto: allocated 524288 entries
for cmdq
[  125.239425][ [  125.251484][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.3.auto: option
mask 0x2
[  125.258233][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.3.auto: ias 44-bit, oas 44-bit
(features 0x0000170d)
[  125.282750][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.3.auto: allocated 524288 entries
for cmdq
[  125.320097][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.3.auto: allocated 524288 entries
for evtq
[  125.332667][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.4.auto: option mask 0x2
[  125.339427][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.4.auto: ias 44-bit, oas 44-bit
(features 0x0000170d)
[  125.354846][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.4.auto: allocated 524288 entries
for cmdq
[  125.375295][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.4.auto: allocated 524288 entries
for evtq
[  125.387371][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.5.auto: option mask 0x2
[  125.393955][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.5.auto: ias 44-bit, oas 44-bit
(features 0x0000170d)
[  125.522605][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.5.auto: allocated 524288 entries
for cmdq
[  125.543338][    T1] arm-smmu-v3 arm-smmu-v3.5.auto: allocated 524288 entries
for evtq
[  126.694742][    T1] EFI Variables Facility v0.08 2004-May-17
[  126.799291][    T1] NET: Registered protocol family 17
[  126.978632][    T1] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[  126.989168][    T1] kmemleak: Kernel memory leak detector initialized
[  126.989191][ T1577] kmemleak: Automatic memory scanning thread started
[  127.044079][ T1335] pcieport 0000:0f:00.0: Adding to iommu group 0
[  127.388074][    T1] Freeing unused kernel memory: 22528K
[  133.527005][    T1] Checked W+X mappings: passed, no W+X pages found
[  133.533474][    T1] Run /init as init process
[  133.727196][    T1] systemd[1]: System time before build time, advancing
clock.
[  134.576021][ T1587] modprobe (1587) used greatest stack depth: 27056 bytes
left
[  134.764026][    T1] systemd[1]: systemd 239 running in system mode. (+PAM
+AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT
+GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS +KMOD +IDN2 -IDN +PCRE2 default-
hierarchy=legacy)
[  134.799044][    T1] systemd[1]: Detected architecture arm64.
[  134.804818][    T1] systemd[1]: Running in initial RAM disk.
<...hang...>

Fix it by either set page_alloc.shuffle=0 or CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING=n which allow
it to continue successfully.

[  121.093846][    T1] systemd[1]: Set hostname to <hpe-apollo-cn99xx>.
[  123.157524][    T1] random: systemd: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes
read)
[  123.168562][    T1] systemd[1]: Listening on Journal Socket.
[  OK  ] Listening on Journal Socket.
[  123.203932][    T1] random: systemd: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes
read)
[  123.212813][    T1] systemd[1]: Listening on udev Kernel Socket.
[  OK  ] Listening on udev Kernel Socket.
...

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel