Subject: [PATCH v11 1/2] dt-bindings: media: Add Allwinner V3s Camera Sensor Interface (CSI)

From: [email-masked] (Laurent Pinchart)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 13:38:08 +0300

Hi Maxime,

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 13:35:47 EEST maxime.ripard at bootlin.com wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 01:19:34PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > > +Endpoint node properties for CSI1
> > > +---------------------------------
> > 
> > Should you list the CSI0 properties as well ? As the driver in patch 2/2
> > doesn't support the CSI-2 interface I assume you have left out CSI0 for
> > now, but it should still be listed in the bindings. I'm fine with fixing
> > this as a follow-up patch to avoid missing the v4.20 merge window, but if
> > you end up resubmitting the series, could you please address the problem
> > ?
> 
> That driver is not available, and the documentation isn't either, so
> there's no easy way to tell which properties are going to be needed
> before doing the actual work of reverse engineering it and writing a
> driver for it. Unfortunately...

While DT bindings should be independent from driver implementations, I agree 
it's difficult to develop good bindings without hardware documentation and 
without at least one working driver implementation.

How about just explicitly stating that these bindings don't support CSI0 yet ?

-- 
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart