Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Use SPDX-License-Identifier for rockchip devicetree files

From: [email-masked] (Heiko Stuebner)
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 12:18:13 +0200

Am Freitag, 15. Dezember 2017, 18:29:02 CEST schrieb Doug Anderson:
> Hi,
> 
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Klaus Goger
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > This patch series replaces all the license text in rockchip devicetree
> > files text with a proper SPDX-License-Identifier.
> > It follows the guidelines submitted[1] by Thomas Gleixner that are not
> > yet merged.
> >
> > These series also fixes the issue with contradicting statements in most
> > licenses. The introduction text claims to be GPL or X11[2] but the
> > following verbatim copy of the license is actually a MIT[3] license.
> > The X11 license includes a advertise clause and trademark information
> > related to the X Consortium. As these X Consortium specfic points are
> > irrelevant for us we stick with the actuall license text.
> >
> > [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10091607/
> > [2] https://spdx.org/licenses/X11.html
> > [3] https://spdx.org/licenses/MIT.html
> >
> >
> > Klaus Goger (2):
> >   arm64: dts: rockchip: use SPDX-License-Identifier
> >   ARM: dts: rockchip: use SPDX-License-Identifier
> >
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3036-evb.dts                   | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3036-kylin.dts                 | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3036.dtsi                      | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3066a-bqcurie2.dts             | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3066a-marsboard.dts            | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3066a-mk808.dts                | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3066a-rayeager.dts             | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3066a.dtsi                     | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3188-px3-evb.dts               | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3188-radxarock.dts             | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3188.dtsi                      | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3228-evb.dts                   | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3229-evb.dts                   | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3229.dtsi                      | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk322x.dtsi                      | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-evb-act8846.dts           | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-evb-rk808.dts             | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-evb.dtsi                  | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-fennec.dts                | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-firefly-beta.dts          | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-firefly-reload-core.dtsi  | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-firefly-reload.dts        | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-firefly.dts               | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-firefly.dtsi              | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-miqi.dts                  | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-phycore-rdk.dts           | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-phycore-som.dtsi          | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-popmetal.dts              | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-r89.dts                   | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-rock2-som.dtsi            | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-rock2-square.dts          | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-tinker.dts                | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-analog-audio.dtsi  |  5 +--
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-brain.dts          | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-chromebook.dtsi    | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-jaq.dts            | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-jerry.dts          | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-mickey.dts         | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-minnie.dts         | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-pinky.dts          | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-sdmmc.dtsi         | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-speedy.dts         | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron.dtsi               | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-vyasa.dts                 | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288.dtsi                      | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3xxx.dtsi                      | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rv1108-evb.dts                   | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm/boot/dts/rv1108.dtsi                      | 40 +---------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3328-evb.dts        | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dts     | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3328.dtsi           | 39 +--------------------
> >  .../arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3368-evb-act8846.dts | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3368-evb.dtsi       | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3368-geekbox.dts    | 39 +--------------------
> >  .../boot/dts/rockchip/rk3368-orion-r68-meta.dts    | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3368-px5-evb.dts    | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3368-r88.dts        | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3368.dtsi           | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-evb.dts        | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-firefly.dts    | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-gru-kevin.dts  | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-gru.dtsi       | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-op1-opp.dtsi   | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-opp.dtsi       | 39 +--------------------
> >  .../arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-puma-haikou.dts | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-puma.dtsi      | 39 +--------------------
> >  .../dts/rockchip/rk3399-sapphire-excavator.dts     | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-sapphire.dtsi  | 39 +--------------------
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399.dtsi           | 39 +--------------------
> >  69 files changed, 69 insertions(+), 2603 deletions(-)
> 
> This is just removing the verbatim license text and adding a link to
> another file with the text?  ...and correcting the name of the
> alternate license to be the MIT license...  I'm no lawyer, but if
> that's what everyone in the kernel agrees is the way they want it
> going forward then I have no objections to anything I was involved in.

correct.
Documentation/process/license-rules.rst Describes the process of
handling these license identifiers.

There was one criticism in the beginning, that an arbitary third-party
site would hold the binding license texts, but that got resolved by
including LICENSES/preferred/$identifier into the kernel sources itself.

Heiko