Subject: [PATCH v3 00/14] omap: mailbox: bunch of cleanups

From: [email-masked] (Felipe Balbi)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 14:56:18 +0300

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 01:47:26PM +0200, ext Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>I think folk need to read this:
>
>	http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/2/472
>
>and consider what it means for the future, and what can be done to reduce
>the amount of "churn".

I believe Linus is considering more the amount of files not the amount 
of patches. Personally, I consider trivial cleanup patches the best way 
to start off with a new code (not saying that Felipe C. is new to mbox 
driver) and those patches are as needed as a brand new feature.

One thing to decrease the amount of lines of code in arch/arm is to move 
the drivers to they're proper locations on the tree. Only on omap we 
have 6 platform_drivers that could (should) be moved to proper 
locations after a 'trivial cleanups'.

gpio.c mcbsp.c timer drivers (for clocksource) etc, which alone would 
mean a decrease of 6237 lines out of arch/arm/*omap* only. And I'm not 
even counting the drivers which aren't platform_drivers.

The thing is that ARM is really different than x86 and there's no 
standardization among different SoCs, so other than moving drivers out 
of arch/arm, there isn't much we can do. Or do you have any ideas ?

-- 
balbi

DefectiveByDesign.org