Subject: [PATCH 1/2] arm: msm: Add System MMU support.

From: [email-masked] (Roedel, Joerg)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:35:57 +0200

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:03:02AM -0400, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 09:48 +0200, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
> > > Hrm, indeed I just noticed that. Pretty gross... it should definitly
> > be
> > > renamed, is will caused endless confusion with unrelated iommu.h and
> > > iommu_* interfaces which represent something different.
> > 
> > The first direction to go should be trying to unify all the different
> > iommu* interfaces into the iommu-api. The generic api will definitly
> > need to be extended for that, but since it is an in-kernel interface
> > thats no problem. 
> 
> Well, I suppose I'm the de-facto candidate to take care of the powerpc
> side then :-)
> 
> I don't have the bandwidth right now, but I'll try to have a look when
> time permits.

Btw. I have some ideas to extend the IOMMU-API to also support GART-like
IOMMUs. These pieces could also support (limited-size) domains (without
isolation) using segmentation. Not sure if this makes sense for the
use-cases in other architectures but we should not declare this
impossible for now.

-- 
Joerg Roedel - AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632