Subject: [alsa-devel] [PATCH 10/10] ASoC: SAMSUNG: Add Machine driver for S/PDIF PCM audio

From: [email-masked] (Mark Brown)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:54:28 -0700

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 04:09:47PM +0900, Jassi Brar wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Mark Brown

> > Well, there's two approaches the driver can take: one is to change the
> > EPLL to deliver the clock rates which allow maximum flexibility, the
> > other is to constrain the clock rates offered to applications based on
> > the frequencies that can be generated from the current EPLL setup.

> For SMDKs(our reference platform) I would like to change EPLL in order
> to be able to verify accuracy and provide all capabilities of the controllers.

That's why I'm saying provide an option to turn this behaviour on - I
agree that it's useful to be able to show the feature, I just think it's
going to catch users out if they're not warned that it's happening
somehow.

> >> (our priority is accuracy of each IP's functioning rather than having
> >> all parts of
> >> SMDK playing nice with each other on such h/w design issues)

> > That'd be the problem, kind of - it does mean people can get burned when
> > they pick up the BSP code and use it as a reference for their systems.

> I expect people to replace/modify/inspect board specific code before they
> run the BSP on their systems. IMO reference platforms are not good for
> integrated-testing.

To be fair the users doing this the individual drivers do look OK by
themselves - there's only a problem when it comes to system integration
and that's not going to be obvious unless someone has reviewed the
drivers while understanding the clock tree for the chip as a whole.