Subject: [PATCH 2/6] serial: Add support for UART on VIA VT8500 and compatibles

From: [email-masked] (Greg KH)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:16:43 -0700

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:55:34AM +0400, Alexey Charkov wrote:
> This adds a driver for the serial ports found in VIA and WonderMedia
> Systems-on-Chip. Interrupt-driven FIFO operation is implemented.
> The hardware also supports pure register-based operation (which is
> slower) and DMA-based FIFO operation. As the FIFOs are only 16 bytes
> long, DMA operation is probably not worth the hassle.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Alexey Charkov <[email-masked]>
> ---
> 
> Please review and state whether this could be acceptable for a merge
> to mainline in the coming 2.6.37 window.

.37?  Aren't you cutting it a bit close here?  My trees unofficially
closed a few days or so ago for new stuff to go to .37, what kept this
from being sent previously?

> If possible, I would deeply appreciate a merge to a relevant git tree
> for integration prior to asking Linus to pull the changes. I could
> rebase the code if needed, currently this is against Linus' master
> branch.
> 
> This patch relies on the basic architecture support for VT8500/WM8505
> to be in place, as introduced by PATCH 1/6 in this series.

So it will just fail to build without that patch?

thanks,

greg k-h