Subject: [PATCH 3/3] omap: add hwspinlock device

From: [email-masked] (Tony Lindgren)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:56:13 -0700

* Ohad Ben-Cohen <[email-masked]> [101020 12:12]:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Kevin Hilman
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> Let's take the i2c-omap for example.
> >>
> >> It sounds like it must have a predefined hwspinlock, but what if:
> >>
> >> 1. It will use omap_hwspinlock_request() to dynamically allocate a hwspinlock
> >> 2. Obviously, the hwspinlock id number must be communicated to the M3
> >> BIOS, so the i2c-omap will publish that id using a small shared memory
> >> entry that will be allocated for this sole purpose
> >> 3. we will make sure that 1+2 completes before the remote processor is
> >> taken out of reset

Guys, let's try to come up with a generic interface for this instead of
polluting the device drivers with more omap specific interfaces.

We really want to keep the drivers generic and platform independent.

Sure we still have some omap specific stuff in the drivers, like
cpu_is_omapxxxx, and omap specific dma calls, but those will be going
away.

Unless somebody has better ideas, I suggest we pass a lock function
in the platform_data to the drivers that need it, and do the omap
specific nasty stuff in the platform code.

Regards,

Tony