Subject: [PATCH 04/10] omap: Make a subset of dmtimer functions into inline functions

From: [email-masked] (Tony Lindgren)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:58:39 -0700

* Kevin Hilman <[email-masked]> [110329 10:48]:
> 
> The reset code is an example of something that will not be able to be
> shared between a system timer driver and a real device driver.  In the
> real driver, the reset (as well as smart-idle, autoidle, wakeup
> capability, etc.) will all be handled by the hwmod.
> 
> With a hwmod conversion, the system timer will have to have
> duplicate/alternate compared to the real timer.

Well the hwmod is already there also for system timer, so that should
not be a problem. See the init_one function in the next patch in the
series.
 
> Ideally, what we need is a way for the system timer to be early_init
> only.  When the real driver is available, it switches to that.  This
> could probably be done pretty easily by using the 'rating' field of the
> clockevent so when the "real" timer driver becomes available with a
> higher rating, the clockevent code would switch to it.

I don't think this is needed. When the dmtimer driver code initializes
it just picks up the already initialized struct omap_dm_timer entries
but does not reset them. At that point the struct dev entry can be
created, but from system timer point of view nothing changes.

Regards,

Tony