Subject: [PATCH 2/9] regulator: helper routine to extract regulator_init_data

From: [email-masked] (Mark Brown)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:05:11 +0100

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:18:04PM +0530, Rajendra Nayak wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 September 2011 05:40 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> >On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 03:42:45PM +0530, Rajendra Nayak wrote:

> >>+	init_data = devm_kzalloc(dev, sizeof(struct regulator_init_data),
> >>+						 GFP_KERNEL);
> >>+	if (!init_data)
> >>+		return NULL; /* Out of memory? */

> >This means that the init data will be kept around for the entire
> >lifetime of the device rather than being discarded.

> Wasn't it the same while this was passed around as platform_data?

It was in the past but I remember fixing it at some point.  Perhaps I'm
imagining things.

> >>+	init_data->supply_regulator = (char *)of_get_property(dev->of_node,
> >>+						"regulator-supplies", NULL);

> >I'd expect that in the device tree world the supply regulator would
> >reference the node for that regulator.

> You mean using phandles? Thats what Grant proposed too but
> I thought you instead had an inclination towards names? Or maybe
> I misunderstood.

They need both.  We need to reference the device that provides the
supply and use a name to say which of the potentially multiple supplies
on the consumer device is which.

> >Hrm, I think loosing the signs here is bad karma - negative voltages do
> >exist after all.

> Oops.. they do? didn't know about that.

Yup, ground is just a reference point.