Subject: [PATCH v3 1/3] mfd: mc13xxx: add device tree probe support

From: [email-masked] (Mark Brown)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 01:59:32 +0000

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:01:02AM +0800, Shawn Guo wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:57:09AM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 11:15:56PM +0800, Shawn Guo wrote:

> > > +Sub-nodes:
> > > +- regulators : Contain the regulator nodes.  The name of regulator node
> > > +  is being used by mc13xxx regulator driver to find the correct relator
> > > +  device.

> > Reading this I'm not clear what the name of the node is, or what the
> > valid node names are.

> In the example below, the name would be 'mc13892__sw1'.

You're missing the point - someone reading the documentation needs to be
able to figure out what strings they need to use for all the different
regulators on the chip are without groveling through the driver code.

> > > +			sw1_reg: mc13892__sw1 {

> > The examples don't really elucidate this either (and the __ is rather
> > odd).

> Yes, that's because the name defined by mc13892 regulator driver is odd.

That's *not* something that we should be exposing in the device tree
bindings.  This is an implementation detail of the Linux driver which
might well change in future.