Subject: A good sub-architecture to base new ports on?

From: [email-masked] (Arnd Bergmann)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 15:57:44 +0000

On Wednesday 16 May 2012, Alexey Zaytsev wrote:
> Hey.
> 
> With all the ARM tree rework, I'm wondering, what would be a good (and
> simple) sub-architecture on which to base new ports. The target is a
> somewhat dated chip used in ADSL routers, so no DT, or multiplatform.
> I'm looking at ixp4xx, because I'm somewhat familiar with the
> platform, but is it a good reference?

For a new subarchitecture, using DT is required, but it should not make
your work harder. spear3xx/6xx is a good example of an older platform
that was recently converted (take the arm-soc tree as a base, it contains
the latest version).

Another good one would be highbank, but that contains a lot of stuff you
don't need.

ixp4xx is not very actively maintained, so I would not use that as
a base.

What platform are you talking about? I know of a few people that are
working on getting older platforms ported to Linux, so maybe someone
is already working on a port.

	Arnd