Subject: [PATCH] arm: Add basic support for new Marvell Armada SoC family

From: [email-masked] (Arnd Bergmann)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 20:44:26 +0000

On Friday 18 May 2012, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > 
> > In this case, we have wildly different names referring to the same chip 
> > family, and "orion" is far from hinting that it also constitute the 
> > support for Kirkwood, Dove or (some not all) Armadas, unless you are 
> > familiar with some legacy Marvell products.  This is why in this case I 
> > think that a directory name change might be appropriate, especially if 
> > we're going to cause churn by moving things around already.
> > 
> > I agree that mrvl_ebu_* is not pretty.  This could be mv_ebu_* or 
> > mvebu_*.  Unless someone has another logical identifier to suggest which 
> > would capture all that family of SOCs that came out of EBU in Marvell of 
> > course.
> 
> I prefer mvebu_* ...  nice and concise.
> 

On a related topic, any preferences on where we will put all the board
files? I think it would be helpful to put them into a separate place from
the main platform files, so e.g. have all *-setup.c files go to
arch/arm/mach-mvebu/board/*.c instead of arch/arm/mach-mvebu/*-setup.c

The reasons I think this would help are that the directory is getting a
bit crowded when we move five or more of the current platforms in there,
and that I hope we can start ignoring them for most practical purposes
as some point in the future when all boards have been made to work with
DT, and at an even later point we can just delete that directory.
The main disadvantage that this approach would bring is that it's not
consistent with what any of the other platforms do.

	Arnd