Subject: [PATCH 2/3] OMAP2+ devices add mac address allocation register api

From: [email-masked] (Arnd Bergmann)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:15:45 +0000

On Sunday 01 July 2012, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > > 2. Pass the Panda mac information as platform data to this
> > >    driver for now with a comment on the usb path naming being
> > >    potentially wrong in the loadable modules case.
> > 
> > IMHO code outside of the platform driver world would be more
> > appropriate here. It's not actually a platform device because
> > it's more of an abstract concept to define a mac address than
> > physical hardware.
> 
> Well we still need to also pass the mac address generated by
> the SoC specific kernel init code. It seems that platform data
> would be the obvious way to pass that. Or do you have some other
> way in mind for that?

My point is that for platform data you need a platform device of
some sort, but this new piece of infrastructure does not look
like it should be a device.

I think a reasonable interface would be something as simple as

void register_eth_mac_fixup(const char *path, const u8 *mac);

Instead of registering a device from the platform, we just call
this function, and leave the code built-in.

	Arnd