Subject: [PATCH 04/11] pinctrl: mvebu: add pinctrl driver for Armada 370

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:36:22 +0200

Le Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:48:32 +0200,
Sebastian Hesselbarth <[email-masked]> a ?crit :

> this is really difficult here ;) I thought I could just add PINCTRL_DOVE
> to MACH_DOVE inside ARCH_MVEBU, PINCTRL_KIRKWOOD to MACH_KIRKWOOD, aso.
> But there is a common MACH_ARMADA_370_XP for both 370 and XP obviously.
> 
> If it is ok for you I will add both PINCTRL_ stubs to the Kconfig and
> you work it out if you ever have two distinct MACHs? Or it could remain
> selectable in pinctrl/Kconfig but that will then be different with the
> other stubs.

In order to keep the consistency with other SoC families, maybe we can
split the 370 and XP options in two separate MACH_ARMADA_370 and
MACH_ARMADA_XP. So, in the ideal world, once all Marvell EBU SoCs are
converted to DT+mach-mvebu, we should have:

 *) arch/arm/Kconfig defines MACH_MVEBU

 *) arch/arm/mach-mvebu/Kconfig defines MACH_KIRKWOOD, MACH_DOVE,
    MACH_MX78X00, MACH_ARMADA_370, MACH_ARMADA_XP, MACH_ORION5X

Then, an user is free to build a single kernel image that supports all,
or a selection of the supported Marvell EBU SoCs.

Would that be ok with you?

If that's fine with you, then I would prefer if we keep the single
MACH_ARMADA_370_XP symbol for now, so that your pinctrl set of patches
does not depend on something else. We would do the small Kconfig option
refactoring as a follow-up set of patches. Thoughts?

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com