Subject: [PATCH 1/4] mfd: smsc: Add support for smsc gpio io/keypad driver

From: [email-masked] (Mark Brown)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:49:37 +0100

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 04:27:44PM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> I still beg to differ. Even if it fails, dmesg will still contain the
> message (provided you have it enabled). I really don't think we want
> this to print to console on every boot.

Only if it's enabled which is the trick...

> If you're still testing your new batch of boards, you're not just a
> simple user and you will have debugging enabled anyway. dev_info() will
> be visible to anyone who's got a console running. Not sure how useful
> that would be to my neighbor.

Also think about hobbyists and so on, and ideally at some point the
people using distros.  We shouldn't be requiring kernel rebuilds for
this sort of diagnostic information.  I guess sysfs is another option
but frankly the overhead on boot just doesn't seem meaningful in the
context of the overall kernel boot style - I'd really expect people who
are bothered by this sort of output would be raising the minimum log
level appearing on the console.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 836 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/attachments/20120821/e7cb57dd/attachment.sig>