Subject: Adding new board to Kernel

From: [email-masked] (Arnd Bergmann)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:55:39 +0000

On Friday 27 July 2012, Josenivaldo Benito Junior wrote:
> Hi there,
> 
> The Embedded Artists has a board based on ARM LPC3250 called EA3250 and
> they provide a BSP with patch to Linux Kernel version 2.6.29.2. I am trying
> to "up merge" this patch to Kernel v3.4 (now 3.5) and after that get it in
> the mainstream. Although I have a working version (
> https://github.com/jrbenito/Kernel-LPC3250) I still have doubts on how to
> correct submit it to mainline kernel.
> 
> -The machine type is already registered in past (
> http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/list.php?id=2512) but it is
> not in mainline. Since I shall not patch this file, how can I ask to it be
> updated with ea3250 board information?

Sorry for the late reply, I was just going through old unread email.

The lpc32xx platform is getting converted to device tree based probing,
which means your board will have to use a device tree file rather than
a board number anyway, which at least solves the problem of getting back
the assigned board number entry.

> -Could you please point me any documentation on how to add board support to
> Linux Kernel?
> 
> My doubts are mainly related with process and order of files to submit I
> shall follow. Any direction will be strongly appreciated.

Please have a look at the phy3250 support in arch/arm/boot/dts/phy3250.dts
and at the files in Documentation/devicetree.

There are still a few bits missing device tree bindings, in particular the
display and the DMA engine, but you can start with a device tree file
that describes everything else.

	Arnd