Subject: [PATCH] i2c: change the id to let the i2c device work

From: [email-masked] (Mark Brown)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:21:57 +0900

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:05:21AM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:

> Ah sorry I misread Mark's request. i2c-gpio will turn the platform
> device ID into bus number, it can indeed not be forced through platform
> data. But I don't think any other i2c bus driver allows this either. I
> don't quite see the problem with setting a platform device ID even if
> there's only one instance of the platform device. I have many examples
> of this on my machine:
> Fixed MDIO bus.0
> coretemp.0
> vesafb.0

This is generally bad style; if it's required by APIs we really should
be fixing the APIs to remove this sort of dependency.  Aside from the
ugliness it tends to be fragile.

> So please just set the platform device ID to 0 (or whatever i2c adapter
> number you want) and your problem is solved. As you just proposed
> initially, actually :)

Though it *does* need a comprehensible commit message so people can
understand what on earth the change is intended to do.