Subject: [GIT PULL] Renesas ARM-based SoC defconfig for v3.8

From: [email-masked] (Arnd Bergmann)
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:18:50 +0000

On Friday 19 October 2012, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 05:13:10PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> I have made a limited amount of progress on this trying to create a
> defconfig that will work on both the Marzen and Armadillo 800 EVA boards.
> 
> * Serial console appears to work, although for the Marzen at
>   least enabling earlyprintk seems to require the bootloader to specify
>   e.g.  console=ttySC2,115200 earlyprintk
> 
>   This is done by fully specifying bootargs in U-Boot.
>   The boodloaders on the Marzen board has an ampty bootargs by default.
>
>   I guess I can live without earlyprink by default,
>   though it does seem to be a regression in the user experience.

Right. So who is using the defconfig for these boards? Usually most
people using it actually have their own configuration files that are
tuned for their needs, and you often also need to change the command
line in order to configure the root partition etc.

> * A more significant problem seems to be the use of CONFIG_MEMORY_START
>   to define PLAT_PHYS_OFFSET in arch/arm/mach-shmobile/include/mach/memory.h
> 
>   I'm not sure that I see an easy way to get around this one.

ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT should take care of this, have you tried it?

	Arnd