Subject: [PATCHv2] Input: omap4-keypad: Add pinctrl support

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:23:12 +0200

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:03:33 +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> > But it appears that shmobile prefer to get all resources using
> > bus notifiers.
> > 
> > So we need to form some kind of consensus ... or live with
> > the fact that different systems do it different ways. Which will
> > explode the day we need to use a driver on two systems,
> > each using the other approach :-)
> 
> I much prefer having drivers explicitly manage all their resources,
> which would mean that pinctrl calls need to be done on probe() and, if
> necessary, during suspend()/resume().
> 
> Using bus notifiers for that is quite a hack IMHO.

Agreed. Just like drivers do their ioremap, request_irq and others,
they should also request their pin resources using the pinctrl API.
Hiding this behind a bus notifier is not nice.

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com