Subject: [PATCH 0/9] ARM: Kirkwood: Convert to pinctrl

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:43:43 +0200

Dear Michael Walle,

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:39:13 +0200, Michael Walle wrote:

> LSXL_GPIO_USB_POWER and LSXL_GPIO_HDD_POWER switches the power on the USB
> and SATA connector. So they are not needed to be set before the driver
> probes, at least in my case here.

Ok.

> But i can imagine boards where you have to enable some kind of
> buffer/muxer/etc which are controlled by GPIO pins. And I don't think that
> should be part of the actual driver, because that would be highly board
> dependant.

You'd have to provide a more specific example so I can imagine how it
will be solved. But for example, if you have a GPIO-controlled muxer
for an I2C bus, then the I2C devices behind the muxer are described as
sub-devices of the muxer, so the probing order is correct.

Of course, I'm not pretending I have ready-to-use solutions for all
situations, but I think we can solve this problem on a case-by-case
basis.

Regardless of those GPIOs, did you solve the hang that happened even
when you removed the gpio_set_value() calls? Or is it still a problem
currently?

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com