Subject: [PATCH 1/3] irqchip: Move ARM GIC to drivers/irqchip

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:01:29 +0100

Rob,

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:54:18 -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
> From: Rob Herring <[email-masked]>
> 
> Now that we have drivers/irqchip, move GIC irqchip to drivers/irqchip. This
> is necessary to share the GIC with arm and arm64.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Rob Herring <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Russell King <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  arch/arm/common/Kconfig                            |    8 --------
>  arch/arm/common/Makefile                           |    1 -
>  drivers/irqchip/Kconfig                            |    8 ++++++++
>  drivers/irqchip/Makefile                           |    1 +
>  arch/arm/common/gic.c => drivers/irqchip/irq-gic.c |    0
>  drivers/irqchip/irqchip.c                          |   10 ++++++++++
>  drivers/irqchip/irqchip.h                          |    1 +
>  7 files changed, 20 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

What about arch/arm/include/asm/hardware/gic.h ?

Contrary to the current version of the bcm2835 IRQ controller driver
and the armada-370-xp IRQ controller driver, the GIC and VIC drivers
not only expose a <foo>_of_init() function, but also other functions
that are directly used by several non-DT capable ARM sub-architectures.

Of course, it works by leaving gic.h where it is now, but it sounds
strange to have the driver in drivers/irqchip/ and the header file in
arch/arm/include/asm/hardware/, especially if the goal is to be able to
use those drivers in arm64.

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com