Subject: [GIT PULL] Renesas ARM-based SoC defconfig for v3.8

From: [email-masked] (Arnd Bergmann)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:41:27 +0000

On Tuesday 30 October 2012, Simon Horman wrote:
> While I am more than happy to help address the issues raised in this
> thread, and others that arise. There do seem to be a number of issues
> between where we are now and a more generic shmobile_defconfig. I would
> like consideration given to allowing the exixting, working, well-maintained,
> per-board defconfigs to be updated until these issues have been resolved.

Yes, no problem. This seemed like a low-hanging fruit initially but has
turned into something much bigger now.

Instead of attacking all these at ones, we can leave them as something
worthwhile doing later. I noticed that out of the 11 shmobile defconfigs,
only three (marzen, kzm9d and kzm9g) actually have a nonzero MEMORY_START.

Maybe it's possible to consolidate all or some of the others first, since
they should still work with the same uImage at the expense of just making
the early debugging a little harder, as we discussed earlier.

For all I know, these three boards are also the ones seeing the most
ongoing development, so you could start by using a shared defconfig
for the oldest (ARM11 based) boards at first that are also less likely
to impact new development starting from the defconfig.

	Arnd