Subject: [PATCH v2] Add support for generic BCM SoC chipsets

From: [email-masked] (Arnd Bergmann)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:05:28 +0000

On Monday 12 November 2012, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 03:00:57PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 November 2012, Stephen Warren wrote:
> > > > I'm following the other mobile ARM SoCs which all have a single mach-
> > > > directory for various families of chips (mach-tegra, mach-omap2,
> > > > etc...). Plus the intent is to have a single set of mach files that
> > > > works across bcm SoCs, so it is preferable to keep it in a single mach-bcm.
> > > 
> > > It's quite possible to create one directory now, e.g. mach-bcm281xx, and
> > > then when consolidation with other mach-bcm* happens, merge all those
> > > directories into a single mach-bcm. I would tend to prefer (but only
> > > lightly) using mach-bcm281xx now and then renaming later, unless you
> > > plan on expanding the SoC support in the pretty near future.
> > 
> > I think the main question is how many files we expect to see in the
> > platform directories for each of bcm3528, bcm281xx and bcm476x. Right
> > now, my feeling is that each of them can be a single file, since most
> > of the stuff that has traditionally been in mach-* directories is
> > moving out to drivers now.
> 
> I expect only DT-only stuff will be mainlined so one directory
> (plat-brcm?) should be ok, right?

Right. The usual naming is to use 'mach-*' for one platform, and 'plat-*'
for stuff that spreads multiple 'mach-*' directories. In this case, the
name I would expect is either 'mach-bcm' as Christian suggested, or
'mach-brcm' if people have strong opinions in favor of that, but not
'plat-brcm'.

> > You still have to work out how you want to maintain that directory though,
> > either just having per-file maintainers, or having multiple people
> > take responsible for the entire directory.
> 
> I'd like to take care of the bcm476x and related drivers unless Broadcom
> wants to do it.

Yes, of course.

> Let me know in which directory.

I'll let you work that out with Stephen and Christian. I think just
'mach-bcm' is sufficent, but I think the three of you should come to
an agreement first.

	Arnd