Subject: [GIT PULL v3] Renesas ARM-based SoC boards for v3.8 #2

From: [email-masked] (Arnd Bergmann)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:11:03 +0000

On Friday 09 November 2012, Simon Horman wrote:
> Hi Olof, Hi Arnd,
> 
> please consider the following board enhancements for 3.8.
> 
> * This pull request is based on a merge of
>   a) The renesas/boards branch of the arm-soc tree
>   b) The soc branch of the renesas tree,
>      which I have sent a separate pull requst for
> 
> * "sh: clkfwk: add sh_clk_fsidiv_register()" is a driver patch
>   which is a dependency of
>   - ARM: shmobile: sh7372: use sh_clk_fsidiv_register() for FSI-DIV clocks
>   - ARM: shmobile: r8a7740: add FSI-DVI clocks
>   I have spoken to the driver maintainer, Paul Mundt, and he has indicated
>   that he thinks it is best to merge all in one go and acked the patch for
>   inclusion in this pull-request.
> 
> * The following patches
>   - ARM: shmobile: use FSI driver's audio clock on ap4evb
>   - ARM: shmobile: use FSI driver's audio clock on mackerel
>   - ARM: shmobile: use FSI driver's audio clock on armadillo800eva
>   Have a compile-time dependency on the following patch which is present in
>   the for-next branch of Mark Brown's sound tree on kernel.org
>   - ASoC: fsi: add master clock control functions
>     (ab6f6d85210c4d0265cf48e9958c04e08595055a)

Hi Simon,

I've pulled this into a new next/boards2 branch because of the new dependency,
but I'm not entirely happy with the way that the dependency came in through
your tree.

It's generally ok to have external dependencies where they can't be avoided,
but please remember these rules:

* When you send a branch that has an external dependency, actually base your
  branch on top of the other one, so that it can be independently verified.
  If you have a dependency and send your patches without that one included,
  it's clear that your code can't be tested in the version you are sending,
  and it breaks any attempt to test just the arm-soc tree or your branch
  rather than the entire for-next tree.

* Make sure that the branch you depend on will not get rebased before it
  gets submitted to the mainline kernel.

* Always let the person that owns the dependency know that the changes in
  their tree are also included elsewhere and that things go bad if those
  changes get rebased after all, or won't make it into the merge window
  for some reason.

I have taken Mark on Cc to let him know about the dependency now, and I've
merged ab6f6d85210c4d0265cf48e9958c04e08595055a (which has only shmobile
specific ASoC patches) into the next/boards2 branch before merging your
branch. This is still not perfect because it breaks bisection, but it's
the best I could do aside from forcing you do do another round-trip.

	Arnd