Subject: [PATCH 1/4] mfd: tps65217: Set PMIC to shutdowm on PWR_EN toggle

From: [email-masked] (Mark Brown)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 19:24:53 +0900

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:08:49AM +0100, Benoit Cousson wrote:

> I was wondering that, because exposing a pin to control the whole PMIC
> low power mode seems to be something that should be generic enough to be
> handled by the regulator framework.

Having something that's controlled by software is really not at all
generic - suspending a PMIC from a GPIO is generally tied in very
closely with the CPU power sequencing which means it's typically some
combination of very hard coded things that we can't control or part of
much wider control of sequencing.

> In the current situation we do have a pwr_en pin that can be controlled
> by a GPIO or whatever signal from the SoC.
> That's very similar, at PMIC level, to the fixedregulator that allow a
> GPIO binding to enable it.

> Don't you think that should deserve a support in the fmwk?

I'm not seeing a coherent description of a feature here - what exactly
are you proposing that we do?  When and how would this GPIO be set for
example?
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 836 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/attachments/20121114/c909c844/attachment.sig>