Subject: [PATCH 1/2] arm: mvebu: add RTC support for Armada 370 and Armada XP

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Lunn)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 07:00:50 +0100

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:37:23PM +0100, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Grant Likely,
> 
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:47:55 +0000, Grant Likely wrote:
> 
> > > Maybe an explicit status = "okay" here?
> > 
> > Only necessary if it is typical for the device to get disabled. I don't
> > add status="okay" properties unless it is to enable a device previously
> > disabled with status="disabled"
> 
> Ok, thanks for clarifying what the best practice is. This device being
> internal to the SoC and having no dependency on external components, it
> is indeed always available.

Hi Thomas

This is not actually true. Its dependent on at least one external
component, a battery. The driver determines at load time if the clock
is ticking.

There are a few Kirkwood and XP designs which use an external i2c RTC,
because the battery recommended by Marvell is mechanically not so easy
to attached to the board, in a robust way.

So i expect some boards will disable this from there own .dts file.
However, defaulting to enabled would make sense.

   Andrew