Subject: [PATCH 6/7] ARM: mackerel: support booting with or without DT

From: [email-masked] (Grant Likely)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 20:46:36 +0000

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 17:45:30 +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> This patch adds dynamic switching to booting either with or without DT.
> So far only a part of the board initialisation can be done via DT. Devices,
> that still need platform data are kept that way. Devices, that can be
> initialised from DT will not be supplied from the platform data, if a DT
> image is detected.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Guennadi Liakhovetski <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  
> +static int mackerel_i2c_bus_notify(struct notifier_block *nb,
> +				   unsigned long action, void *data)
> +{
> +	struct device *dev = data;
> +
> +	if (action != BUS_NOTIFY_ADD_DEVICE ||
> +	    strcmp(dev_name(dev->parent), "fff20000.i2c"))
> +		return NOTIFY_DONE;
> +
> +	i2c_new_device(to_i2c_adapter(dev), &i2c0_devices[1]);
> +
> +	return NOTIFY_OK;
> +}
> +
> +static struct notifier_block mackerel_i2c_notifier = {
> +	.notifier_call = mackerel_i2c_bus_notify,
> +};

This looks dodgy. It appears that the purpose of this hook is to create
the tca6408-keys device because it has some platform data. However,
this hook will try to create the device every time BUS_NOTIFY_ADD_DEVICE
happens on the fff20000.i2c bus *including* when the tca6408-keys device
gets added.

The correct approach when you need to add specific platform data is to
still put the device into the device tree and make the notifier look for
that specific device. Then the platform data pointer can be attached at
BUS_NOTIFY_ADD_DEVICE time.

However, it doesn't look like you need a notifier at all. From what I
can see the tca6408-keys device does have platform data, but it is all
simple (no callback pointers). You should instead encode the platform
data into device tree properties and extract them from the driver.

g.