Subject: [RFC v1] PCIe support for the Armada 370 and Armada XP SoCs

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 22:16:32 +0100

Dear Thierry Reding,

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 22:06:22 +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:

> > Thanks for putting your code online. I've started using it already for
> > the Marvell PCIe support, at least the host-bridge.c helpers you've
> > written, and also to have a look at the DT binding you've implemented.
> 
> That's great. I've been thinking about this some more and one problem
> we'll be facing is that none of the fake host bridges actually exist and
> therefore don't have any official PCI IDs. What I did for Tegra was just
> choose one of the nForce IDs, but that's obviously hackish. One solution
> would be to convince somebody benevolent to sponsor an ID for this
> particular purpose. I think Red Hat did so for Virtio.

Indeed, that's a remaining problem to solve. Would be great to have
some vendor sponsoring a few IDs for that. At least for a fake PCI Host
Bridge and a fake PCI-to-PCI bridge.

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com