Subject: [PATCHv2 07/11] arm: arch_timer: divorce from local_timer api

From: [email-masked] (Catalin Marinas)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:46:35 +0000

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 01:34:23PM +0000, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 January 2013 09:37 PM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> > Currently, the arch_timer driver is tied to the arm port, as it relies
> > on code in arch/arm/smp.c to setup and teardown timers as cores are
> > hotplugged on and off. The timer is registered through an arm-specific
> > registration mechanism, preventing sharing the driver with the arm64
> > port.
> >
> > This patch moves the driver to using a cpu notifier instead, making it
> > easier to port.
> >
> > Signed-off-by: Mark Rutland <[email-masked]>
> > Acked-by: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
> > Acked-by: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
> > ---
> This is really a nit idea. I think we should do the same
> for ARM gic code.

I plan to do the same once Rob's GIC patches get merged. In my
soc-armv8-model branch I have a copy of gic.c into drivers/irqchip and
the CPU interface is done automatically via a notifier. The only trick
is to set the priority of the GIC notifier higher than the timer one.

-- 
Catalin