Subject: [PATCH 5/5] mv643xx_eth: convert to use the Marvell Orion MDIO driver

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:46:09 +0100

Dear Florian Fainelli,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:27:56 +0100, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> It looks like I introduced two redundant mvmdio instances as ge01
> refers to the ge00 smi bus (the same applies to ge11 and ge10).
> Thanks for spotting this.

Ok, good.

> If you take a closer look at mv643xx_eth you will see that the
> "shared" driver still handles the mconf bus window configuration,
> which is not abstracted yet.

Indeed, I've seen that. But I don't understand why it's done in the
mv643xx_eth_shared_probe(). The mbus window configuration registers are
per-network interface, so this call to mv643xx_eth_conf_mbus_windows()
could presumably be done in mv643xx_eth_probe().

At least in mvneta, we have the same registers, and we do their
initialization in the driver normal (and only) ->probe() routine.

> Besides that, I would rather do it step by step.

Yes, agreed. But I think it would be good to have followed patches that
progressively get rid of the shared driver thing, as it will help in
bringing a proper DT binding in the mv643xx_eth driver. But it
certainly doesn't need to be part of this specific patch.

Thanks,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com