Subject: Latest build results - errors/warnings - lots of them

From: [email-masked] (Tony Lindgren)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:11:04 -0700

* Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]> [130430 04:10]:
> On Tuesday 30 April 2013, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > Latest nightly build of 3.9+my for-next+arm-soc's for-next results in a
> > great load of new warnings and errors.  arch/arm/common/mcpm_head.S,
> > arch/arm/common/mcpm_platsmp.c, arch/arm/common/vlock.S are the biggest
> > source of errors.
> 
> Yes, I noticed this but haven't gotten around to prepare a patch. I'll comment
> below.
> 
> > OMAP stuff needs a serious look at too - much Kconfig madness there
> > caused by over-use of select, which then goes on to cause build errors
> > because it assumes some stuff is always enabled.

I have posted a few randconfig fixes in "[PATCH 0/3] few omap randconfig
fixes for v3.10" that also remove the select of SERIAL_OMAP that I missed
while fixing the 8250 issue. I was planning to send a pull request after
the merge window, but can do it now too if people prefer that.
 
> Ack. I have not looked much at randconfig output, but this has certianly
> grown worse after CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP has gotten included in ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM

I have a patch coming for the "no SoC selected" randconfig issue as
discussed in the "linux-next ARM multi-platform randconfig errors"
thread. I suggest we do the minimal fix I already posted for now,
then reorganize more of the Makefile as Arnd suggested for v3.11.

Regards,

Tony