Subject: [PATCHv7 01/11] clockevents: Prefer CPU local devices over global devices

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Boyd)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 11:04:25 -0700

On 06/06, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 06/03/2013 10:33 PM, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> > On an SMP system with only one global clockevent and a dummy
> > clockevent per CPU we run into problems. We want the dummy
> > clockevents to be registered as the per CPU tick devices, but
> > we can only achieve that if we register the dummy clockevents
> > before the global clockevent or if we artificially inflate the
> > rating of the dummy clockevents to be higher than the rating
> > of the global clockevent. Failure to do so leads to boot
> > hangs when the dummy timers are registered on all other CPUs
> > besides the CPU that accepted the global clockevent as its tick
> > device and there is no broadcast timer to poke the dummy
> > devices.
> > 
> > If we're registering multiple clockevents and one clockevent is
> > global and the other is local to a particular CPU we should
> > choose to use the local clockevent regardless of the rating of
> > the device. This way, if the clockevent is a dummy it will take
> > the tick device duty as long as there isn't a higher rated tick
> > device and any global clockevent will be bumped out into
> > broadcast mode, fixing the problem described above.
> 
> It is not clear the connection between the changelog, the patch and the
> comment. Could you clarify a bit ?
> 

There is one tick device per-cpu and one broadcast device. The
broadcast device can only be a global clockevent, whereas the
per-cpu tick device can be a global clockevent or a per-cpu
clockevent. The code tries hard to keep per-cpu clockevents in
the tick device slots but it has an ordering/rating requirement
that doesn't work when there are only dummy per-cpu devices and
one global device.

Perhaps an example will help. Let's say you only have one global
clockevent such as the sp804, and you have SMP enabled. To
support SMP we have to register dummy clockevents on each CPU so
that the sp804 can go into broadcast mode. If we don't do this,
only the CPU that registered the sp804 will get interrupts while
the other CPUs will be left with no tick device and thus no
scheduling. To fix this we register dummy clockevents on all the
CPUs _before_ we register the sp804 to force the sp804 into the
broadcast slot. Or we give the dummy clockevents a higher rating
than the sp804 so that when we register them after the sp804 the
sp804 is bumped out to broadcast duty.

If the dummy devices are registered before the sp804 we can give
the dummies a low rating and the sp804 will still go into the
broadcast slot due to this code:

	/*
	 * If we have a cpu local device already, do not replace it
	 * by a non cpu local device
	 */
	if (curdev && cpumask_equal(curdev->cpumask, cpumask_of(cpu)))
		goto out_bc;

If we register the sp804 before the dummies we're also fine as
long as the rating of the dummy is more than the sp804.  Playing
games with the dummy rating is not very nice so this patch fixes
it by allowing the per-cpu device to replace the global device no
matter what the rating of the global device is.

This fixes the sp804 case when the dummy is rated lower than
sp804 and it removes any ordering requirement from the
registration of clockevents. It also completes the logic above
where we prefer cpu local devices over non cpu local devices.

-- 
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
hosted by The Linux Foundation