Subject: [PATCHv3 02/11] pci: use weak functions for MSI arch-specific functions

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:55:52 +0200

Dear Bjorn Helgaas,

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:52:45 -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> I agree; the whole point of __weak is to provide a "default"
> implementation, so I hope you can just remove any empty default_*()
> functions and fold the others into the arch_*() functions directly.
> 
> If there actually are callbacks from arch-specific strong functions
> back to the stuff in the default_*() functions, that suggests that we
> should refactor and rename that bit of functionality.

There is one such case, as highlighted in the commit log of this patch:

"""
This is needed because the x86 Xen implementation of
teardown_msi_irqs() needs to do some work, and then call the default
implementation of this hook.
"""

Any suggestion on how to solve this particular case?

Thanks,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com