Subject: [PATCH -next 2/2] kbuild: fix for updated LZ4 tool with the new streaming format

From: [email-masked] (Borislav Petkov)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:22:42 +0200

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:12:17AM +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> The goal is to avoid generating a non-buildable kernel in the first place.

I know, that's why I'm proposing to fail the build with the script run
as one of the first things by make.

> > I.e., those steps:
> > 1. make <whatever>config
> > 2. make => A prereq. target runs the shell script.
> 
> This is too late, since this will bail out, and will give a false-positive
> failure.

Huh? This will tell you: "you've selected X, but I don't have toolX
needed for the build".

You install the tool and run make again. Checks pass, the build
continues.

> While if we were to check for _known_ needed tools before calling into
> Kconfig,

How would you do that? How do you know what the user is going to select
*before* she even selects it?

You need to have a prepared .config to act upon.

-- 
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.
--