Subject: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

From: [email-masked] (Richard Cochran)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 20:31:01 +0200

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:24:24PM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> 
> That is a nice summary of how we got from null to now and Richard
> seems to be simply saying: let's stop mucking about and make this a
> project with a well-defined process of dealing with staging and
> stable bindings and keep stable bindings stable.

Yes, that is right.

Frankly, I am really surprised and shocked at the cavalier attitude
expressed here WRT DT bindings in released kernels. Think about the
*users* of this code. Not everyone working with ARM Linux is a kernel
developer or a DT guru. There is really no indication at all that the
ARM Linux DT stuff released so far are not stable and trustworthy.

It is not nice to provide such a mess, and the idea that we *must*
have a mess because the whole system in still in development is bogus,
IMHO. Just make sure that the mainline kernel is really working and
that the DT bindings *there* are for keeps.

It is your job as kernel developers.

Thanks,
Richard