Subject: [PATCH 5/5] DRM: Armada: add support for drm tda19988 driver

From: [email-masked] (Jean-Francois Moine)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 11:19:13 +0200

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 10:59:39 -0400
Rob Clark <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Jean-Fran?ois, just as an aside, I really don't think code that can be
> shared, like tda998x, should encode a DT requirement.. there are
> plenty of platforms that don't use DT (arm isn't everything, and last
> I heard aarch64 was going to be ACPI).
> 
> Beyond that, it is a driver decision whether or not to support only-DT
> or DT + other.. and as long as there is a common board which can use
> the driver but which is not DT, there is probably a compelling reason
> to still support the non-DT case.

Rob,

The Cubox is an open platform, and I use it just like a desktop PC.
When its required drivers will be in the mainline, I will do the same
as I do with PCs: I will not recompile a specific kernel each time
there are kernel bugs or security issues. Instead, I will just upgrade
my system from my distributor (Debian), and, in the packages, there
will be a generic mvebu kernel as there is already one for Marvell
Armada 370/xp, Freescale iMX5x/iMX6 (linux-image-3.10-3-armmp).
But, for that, all the Cubox specific stuff must be described in a DT.

-- 
Ken ar c'henta?	|	      ** Breizh ha Linux atav! **
Jef		|		http://moinejf.free.fr/