Subject: [PATCH 2/4] ARM: msm: Remove 7x00 support

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Walker)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:35:06 -0700

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:12:03AM -0700, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> Daniel Walker <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> 
> No.  The idea behind splitting them is to allow current platforms with
> active maintainers to progress without being held back.  The older
> platforms can stay and have an opportunity to modernize. 
> 
> The kernel is a moving target, without some minimal effort to keep
> platforms up to date, the effort to continue to maintain/modernize them
> can become more of a pain than it's worth.  If maintainers of these older
> platforms are willing to put in the work, nobody will be SOL.  If
> nobody shows interest in modernizing these older platforms (which seems
> to be the case based on the last couple years), then it is reasonable
> IMO for them to fade away slowly.

According to a prior email Tony suggested that OMAP was split for purely
technical reasons.. If code is shared in some way , or has synergies, and there's no
technical reason to split a sub-architecture, then to me there's no win in splitting
things.. It's just more directories, more confusion etc.. The confusion
would come from someone wanting to find the code related to a platform,
but woops there's a bunch of directories, or code flow and how the
sub-architecture is strung together .. Personally I found OMAP very
confusing in that regard.

ARM and the sub-architectures is already confusing I don't think we need
to start compounding the problem by allowing random whatever-you-want
sub-directories from every sub-architecture.

Daniel