Subject: ACPI vs DT at runtime

From: [email-masked] (Richard Cochran)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 07:40:57 +0100

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:48:27AM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> 
> This is just a tangent and a distraction anyway: You should know by
> now that we've decided to keep backwards compatibility going forward,
> so any argument about why we did it differently before is leading nowhere.

Yes, I know it is tangent, but the tone in which you address people
(like Jon Masters) who complain about DT quality is really not fair.

When DT for arm was first proposed, I argued against it in vain.
Since then, I have really, truly tried my best to keep on top of the
DT discussions on the arm list, because everyone working on the arm
platform will have to know DT intimately, whether they want to or not.

Now, I never saw any proclamation or discussion about "DT is in flux"
on the arm list. If I had, I surely would have complained, and loudly.
AFAICT, this decision was made in rather private circles, but you talk
as if this was abundantly clear. *It was not.*

Or if it was announced in some way, just show me where. Otherwise,
please stop the "we were upfront about this from day one" excuses.

Thanks,
Richard