Subject: ACPI

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Garrett)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 03:56:51 +0000

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 10:52:25PM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:

> Matthew, good points! Suffice it to say many productive conversations 
> have occurred recently with regard to openness. I am constrained 
> indeed, and somewhat willingly because that is the only way to engage 
> with everyone who might (or might not) be involved in the ARM 
> ecosystem in the timeframe that will matter in the medium/longer term 
> (this is a decade+ long story). As you know, I'm a huge fan of 
> standards (especially openly published ones), and in particular of 
> having one way to do things that will work for an entire ecosystem 
> (beyond just Linux), because that's how we get to an open platform 
> that anyone can target. That's not the natural course things would 
> take without steering. In the ARM space, the natural course might be 
> to create vertical solutions that, while awesome, are harder to target 
> with a general purpose one-size-fits-all OS story. I'll look forward 
> to seeing more announcements coming soon.

That seems to be a very verbose way to say "We have no plans to make 
sure this is going to work for upstream Linux". I'm disappointed to see 
Red Hat play along with this.

-- 
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org