Subject: [PATCH v3 04/12] clk: Add regmap core helpers for enable/disable/is_enabled

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Boyd)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 22:15:49 -0800

On 12/18, Mike Turquette wrote:
> Quoting Stephen Boyd (2013-10-16 00:40:06)
> >  struct clk_hw {
> >         struct clk *clk;
> >         const struct clk_init_data *init;
> >         struct regmap *regmap;
> > +       unsigned int enable_reg;
> > +       unsigned int enable_mask;
> > +       bool enable_is_inverted;
> 
> Thanks for submitting this patch.
> 
> Adding all of this stuff to struct clk_hw makes me a sad panda. You are
> essentially sharing a common set of ops for clocks that use regmap as
> their io operation back-end, and that is a good thing.
> 
> However, why not just do this as drivers/clk/clk-regmap.c, or
> drivers/clk/clk-gate-regmap.c?

These new members aren't exclusively for use by the regmap code.
For example, we could extend the gate clock implementation to
store the enable bit in the 'enable_mask' member. They also
aren't used exclusively by simple gates. If you look at this
patch series you'll see that I call the helpers from hardware
specific ops when I want to do the gate operation in addition to
something else like polling a status bit.

What is the concern though? I can only guess that perhaps not
every clock type will have a bit to toggle and so putting the
information here would unnecessarily penalize those clocks? How
many clocks in a particular system don't have an on/off
capability? On MSM hardware I can only count 5 or so out of 200
that don't have on/off capabilities so it didn't seem worth the
effort to have a struct inside a struct inside a struct just to
save a 100 bytes of data.

If I understand you, I could make clk-regmap.c and struct
clk_regmap like so:

	struct clk_regmap {
		struct regmap *regmap;
		unsigned int enable_reg;
		unsigned int enable_mask;
		bool enable_is_inverted;
		struct clk_hw hw;
	};

	int clk_is_enabled_regmap(struct clk_hw *hw)
	{
		...

That certainly avoids adding members to struct clk_hw, but it
also means that if we want to use this structure and augment it
with something like a status bit poll we need to make a third
structure to wrap the clk_regmap struct. That makes me a sad
panda.

The reason is because we'll need to add a registration function
like clk_regmap_register(). I would like to just have an array of
clk_hw pointers that I iterate through and call clk_register()
on, without having to think/worry that this clock is a basic
clock that doesn't use a regmap so I should call clk_register()
and this other clock is wrapping a clk_regmap struct so I need to
call clk_regmap_register(). I guess I could have more arrays or
pair the clk_hw pointers with some registration function pointer,
but that doesn't make me feel much better.

> Putting the clk_ops callback functions in
> drivers/clk/clk.c is a little weird and putting those struct members
> into struct clk_hw is definitely strange.

In the regulator framework we have helpers.c. I could make a
similar file for these very similar helpers.

-- 
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
hosted by The Linux Foundation