Subject: [PATCH 1/3] reset: Add of_reset_control_get

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:42:13 +0100

Maxime, Philipp,

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 22:41:07 +0100, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> In some cases, you might need to deassert from reset an hardware block that
> doesn't associated to a struct device (CPUs, timers, etc.).
> 
> Add a small helper to retrieve the reset controller from the device tree
> without the need to pass a struct device.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Maxime Ripard <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/reset/core.c  | 39 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
>  include/linux/reset.h |  4 ++++
>  2 files changed, 34 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

I'd like to add that I have the exact same need as Maxime. Maxime needs
of_reset_control_get() for timers, and in my case, I need it for CPUs,
since I associated a reset controller to CPU nodes in my DT.

Funnily, even though Maxime and I work like 3 meters away from each
other, both of us came up independently with almost exactly the same
implementation to solve the exact same problem, without talking to each
other about this need. It's only yesterday that we discovered we've had
to solve the same problem.

So, definitely looking forward to seeing the feedback about this.

Thanks!

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com