Subject: [PATCH v2 20/28] drm/i2c: tda998x: move the TBG_CNTRL_0 register setting

From: [email-masked] (Jean-Francois Moine)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:23:21 +0100

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 18:36:48 +0000
Russell King - ARM Linux <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 12:06:07PM +0100, Jean-Francois Moine wrote:
> > According to the comment, the TBG_CNTRL_0 register must be set at the
> > end of the mode change sequence.
> 
> So you believe comments without understanding the history, and you move
> code around due to those.
> 
> No, this is again wrong.  That write to REG_TBG_CNTRL_0 in the sequence
> writing the video information to the chip.  This doesn't encompass the
> HDMI/DVI mode setting nor the audio configuration - the audio configuration
> can change independently of the video setting, and does not require this
> register to be written.
> 
> This also brings up a bug in one of your previous patches which I now
> must go back and comment upon.

Well, I have not the full spec of the TDA998x's, and I don't know what
is important or not. I was hoping that Rob had a better knowledge than I.

So, in my patch 9, I was writing the REG_TBG_CNTRL_1 after writing
REG_TBG_CNTRL_0, and you refused it. Here, I write REG_TBG_CNTRL_0
after the write of REG_TBG_CNTRL_1 in the HDMI sequence, and you still
don't agree.

What is the right way?

-- 
Ken ar c'henta?	|	      ** Breizh ha Linux atav! **
Jef		|		http://moinejf.free.fr/