Subject: [PATCH 21/21] ARM: Kirkwood: Remove DT support

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 16:09:54 +0100

Dear Jason Cooper,

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 10:03:06 -0500, Jason Cooper wrote:

> Ideally, I'd prefer multi_v7 and multi_v5 for DT, and
> {kirkwood,dove,orion5x,mv78xx0}_defconfig for non-DT legacy building.
> The latter going away once we deprecate non-DT booting.  There is a case
> to be made for the arch-specific defconfigs, though.
> 
> Currently (includes modules if configured, and dtbs);
> 
>   mvebu_defconfig	00:02:56
>   x86_64_defconfig	00:04:24
>   multi_v7_defconfig	00:04:05
> 
> 1 minute and 9 seconds doesn't drastically change a bathroom break or
> tea time ;-)  But it is a 33% increase.

I also like to have a more focused defconfig than multi_v7 for
development.

> If we want something leaner than multi_v7, how about
> armada_370-xp_defconfig to replace the current mvebu_defconfig?

Doesn't work for me: we're going to introduce soon the support for
other mvebu ARMv7 SoC that are not Armada 370 nor XP, but that should
be built as part of this.

Why not mvebu_v7 and mvebu_v5 as I suggested? mvebu_v7 would build both
Dove and Armada 370/XP (and the other ones we are going to introduce
soon), mvebu_v5 would build Kirkwood (and possibly Orion5x once I find
enough time to work on this platform).

This way, ultimately we can simply remove kirkwood_defconfig and
dove_defconfig, as soon as all legacy platforms have been either
converted to DT, or removed.

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com