Subject: [PATCH 06/11] ARM: mvebu: add Armada 380/385 support to the system-controller driver

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:24:36 +0100

Grant,

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:22:04 +0000, Grant Likely wrote:

> >> +     }, {
> >> +             /*
> >> +              * As far as RSTOUTn and System soft reset registers
> >> +              * are concerned, Armada 38x is similar to Armada
> >> +              * 370/XP
> >> +              */
> >> +             .compatible = "marvell,armada-380-system-controller",
> >> +             .data = (void *) &armada_370_xp_system_controller,
> 
> However, this would not be the right thing to do. The better solution
> is to put the following into the .dts file:
> 
> compatible = "marvell,armada-380-system-controller","marvell,armada-370-system-controller"
> 
> So that the kernel has the option to override the 370 version if an
> errata or extra feature support ever needs to be added.

Ah, right true. Makes sense. We are going to update our patch set to
take this suggestion into account, and resubmit a v2 with this. This
way, we don't need new to introduce in drivers new compatible strings
for the clocksource driver, the mbus driver and the system-controller
driver.

Thanks Grant for your suggestion.

Jason, are you ok with this?

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com