Subject: [PATCH v4 0/8] Device Tree support for the at91sam9261ek

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:44:28 +0100

Dear Jean-Jacques Hiblot,

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:36:08 +0100, Jean-Jacques Hiblot wrote:

> >> For dm9000 the issue is (again) related to an ordering problem:
> >> the Ethernet need an interrupt provided by the gpio driver. Unfortunately,
> >> the gpio driver initialization is called after the dm900 driver
> >> initialization.
> >
> > And -EPROBE_DEFER doesn't solve this problem?
> not really the problem happens before the driver is actually probed
> when the ressource for the platform driver are filled

Sorry, I don't have all the context. If I understand correctly what you
mean, the GPIO driver is probed through the DT, but the DM9000 driver
is probed in a legacy way from the board file, and you have the case
where the DM9000 platform_device gets registered before the GPIOs are
actually available? In this case, what about having the
of_platform_populate() call *before* the platform_device_register() for
your DM9000 ? Again, I don't have all the context, so I might very well
be getting the situation incorrectly.

Of course, ideally, the DM9000 driver should be probed using the DT,
but I guess this needs the SMC DT binding that is still being
discussed, if I followed correctly.

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com