Subject: [PATCH v4 02/13] ARM: mvebu: remove the address parameter for ll_set_cpu_coherent

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:06:10 +0100

Gregory,

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:33:25 +0100, Gregory CLEMENT wrote:
> Until now the calling functions of ll_set_cpu_coherent() have to know
> the base address of the coherency registers. This commit doesn't
> expose anymore this address. This was needed to be able to use either
> a virtual or a physical address. This patch add a check of the MMU bit
> to choose the accurate address, then the calling function do have pass
> this information.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Gregory CLEMENT <[email-masked]>

I think your commit log needs some review:

I don't understand "This commit doesn't expose anymore this address."
from your commit log. Do you mean that the address is no longer passed
as argument to ll_set_cpu_coherent() ?

Similarly, the sentence "This patch add a check of the MMU bit to choose
the accurate address, then the calling function do have pass this
information." seems incorrect, as the commit does quite the opposite:
the calling function do *NOT* have to pass the base address of the
coherency.

Finally, your commit log doesn't explain *why* this change is
necessary. At first sight, switching from using a function argument to
a global variable looks like a step in the wrong direction. An
explanation as to why this is the right direction seems needed here.

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com