Subject: [PATCH 21/21] ARM: Kirkwood: Remove DT support

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:52:52 +0100

Dear Jason Cooper,

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:24:38 -0500, Jason Cooper wrote:

> > We keep any system using -setup.c files, and remove the ability to
> > boot systems with a DT description. Thus mach-kirkwood becomes legacy,
> > and you should now be trying to only use mach-mvebu, compiled for v5
> > systems and a second compile for v7 systems.
> > 
> > There are four systems left in mach-kirkwood which don't have DT
> > equivalent. These are LaCie 2Big and 5Big, HP t5325 thin client and
> > Marvell OpenRD machines. I'm working on t5325 and Openrd. The sticking
> > point is audio support, which no other board has done with DT yet.
> > The two LeCie boards have a custom LED driver which needs a DT
> > binding. My gut feeling is that we won't get these four converted to
> > DT in time for 3.15.
> 
> Why not do like we did when we started the kirkwood dt conversion?
> Create dts files for the remaining boards, and do
> 
> if (of_machine_is_compatible(...))
> 	legacy_audio_init()
> 
> in board-v5.c?
> 
> I suspect audio is going to take time to sort out.  I'd hate to delay
> this just for that.

Yes, I believe it's a good plan. Convert as much as possible to DT, and
only keep those few devices (audio and leds) probe in an old-style
fashion.

This way, we can progressively add the necessary missing DT bindings.

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com