Subject: FEC ethernet issues [Was: PL310 errata workarounds]

From: [email-masked] (Shawn Guo)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 21:36:41 +0800

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 11:32:06AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > Hi, Russell,
> > 
> > I don't contradict your thinking/solution and measurements.  You are
> > expert on arm/modules, we keep study attitude to dicuss with you.
> > For imx6sx, we indeed get the result. For imx6q/dl linux upstream, you
> > did great job on performance tuning, and the test result is similar
> > To our internal test result. Your suggestion for the optimiztion is
> > meaningful. Pls understand my thinking.  
> 
> The reason I said what I said is because I'm not talking about TSO.  I'm
> talking about GSO.  They're similar features, but are done in totally
> different ways.
> 
> TSO requires either hardware support, or driver cooperation to segment
> the data.  GSO does not.
> 
> There's several points here which make me discount your figures:

Russell,

In case there is a confusion.  The 900Mbps figure that Fugang said is
not on any of i.MX6 SoCs that are publicly available - i.MX6SoloLite
(imx6sl), i.MX6Solo/DualLite (imx6dl), i.MX6Dual/Quad (imx6q), but on
a new member of i.MX6 family - i.MX6SoloX (imx6sx).  This new SoC hasn't
been announced by Freescale yet.  One major improvement of this new SoC
over its ancestors is the FEC throughput.  It claims 1Gbps throughput
support.  So it's really a hardware optimization instead of anything
that software can do.

Shawn